Home > Careers
Water Resources Technologist
About the Opportunity
Are you interested in bridging the gap between GIS and Engineering? TRUE has an opportunity for an experienced hydraulic modeler in our Kamloops office. This includes modelling of water through all municipal systems (water, sanitary, storm and flooding). This need has been reinforced by recent flooding and climate change impacts throughout BC. Don’t have experience with flooding? Don’t worry we can teach that to you! We are looking for an individual who is experienced in manipulating GIS and developing computer models that analyze the flow of water.
Many of our clients have been impacted by flooding and have continuing needs to mitigate flood risks. This has resulted in a growing list of diverse hydro-technical projects including policy development, modelling, design/construction, and operation of works in both the riverine and urban environments. Simply, our clients have complex issues, and we need your expertise to help solve them!
Also interested in sanitary and water distribution modelling? We do that too! We can cater the position to your skill set and your career goals.
While the specific role will depend on your experience and interests, some responsibilities may include the following:
- Develop hydraulic models (water, sewer, storm, river) for preliminary designs, detail design, master plans, flood mitigation plans
- Field investigations and data collection to ensure your models are representative of real-world conditions
- Assist with preparation of planning-level and detailed-level cost estimates for infrastructure projects
- Query, analysis and reporting of data (e.g. flow monitoring, SCADA data, utilizing LiDAR, mapping, model results, etc.)
- Working with a diverse team of Professional Engineers, technologists, and GIS staff
- Preparation of technical memorandums, reports, records, and other written materials
- Ability to interpret model results to develop practical, real-world solutions
- Collaborating with subconsultants to effectively deliver a project (e.g. geotechnical, geomorphology, environmental, archaeological)
Kamloops is a vibrant and growing city in the heart of the BC Southern Interior. Located at the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers, Kamloops is home to acclaimed outdoor activities including skiing, mountain biking, hiking, and golf, offering unparalleled quality of life. While Kamloops continues to see development and growth, it maintains its small-town hospitality with local entertainment, retailers, breweries, and wineries. Combine this with a lower cost of living and our community becomes an ideal place to expand your career and your lifestyle. We combine this with flexible work arrangements allowing you to tailor your schedule to your life needs and goals.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, strengths, and interests:
- 3 – 10 years of relevant experience
- Graduate of a Civil Engineering Technology program
- Preferred to be registered with ASTTBC as an AScT (or eligible to register)
- Experience in three or more computer platforms such as: SWMM products, DHI products, WaterCAD, InfoWater ArcGIS, QGIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, Raven
- Understanding of GIS, hydraulics, hydrology, and hydrotechnical design
- Experience in local government and municipal utilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to define problems, prioritize tasks, and have a client-driven perspective
- A genuine curiosity, wanting to innovate and expand both personal and company knowledge
- Have a valid driver’s license
For water resources work, we are focused on small local government clients. Even though they are small they have big needs! This means that you, as part of our team, can guide and build projects that result in meaningful change for our communities. We need your help to solve some very interesting problems related to managing water in the municipal environment.
It’s all about people and relationships at TRUE: we are a cohesive team working as trusted advisors directly for local government decision makers. We consider ourselves an extension of civic staff and work in a collaborative approach looking out for our clients’ best interests. We focus on integrity and prioritize doing the right thing as one of our core values.
We realize that our team is our biggest and most valuable asset. With a company size of approximately 70 people, TRUE is unique in the marketplace: we are large enough to tackle the most complex projects while small enough to maintain our family-feel where everybody knows your name. We have fun and make this a rewarding place to work, even at the busiest times.
Tied to TRUE’s culture, we aim to stay competitive and share our successes with our staff through attractive salaries, extended health and dental coverage, vacation time, paid overtime, profit sharing, RRSP matching, annual health & wellness benefit, philanthropy initiatives and flexible work arrangements.
Copyright © 2023 TRUE Consulting Ltd. | Site by FRESH