About the Opportunity
TRUE is currently seeking a Planner to join our Kamloops office. The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of municipal governance structures, community planning, and land use development processes in Canada. Working with the TRUE team and our industry partners, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of public and private sector planning initiatives.
While the specific role will depend on the individual’s experience and interests, some responsibilities may include the following:
- Work closely with local governments, indigenous communities, and community organizations to address key planning issues;
- Conduct research to provide a wide range of planning and design solutions as part of a team or independently, with minimal supervision, and clearly communicate the results verbally and in writing to colleagues and clients;
- Familiarity with current policy and regulations in BC, and demonstrate understanding of concepts and best practices to provide recommendations to team members and clients on planning and development projects;
- Prepare and deliver presentations, surveys, and other external stakeholder and public engagement materials;
- Explore a wide range of community development topics, including land use planning, housing, economic development, community governance, and infrastructure planning;
- Thrive in a team environment built on collaboration and integration between disciplines, and enjoys working on a variety of projects with different team members;
- Travel as required to visit job sites, clients, and events throughout British Columbia.
Kamloops is a vibrant and growing city in the heart of the BC Southern Interior. Located at the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers, Kamloops is home to acclaimed outdoor activities including skiing, mountain biking, hiking, and golf. While Kamloops continues to see development and growth, it maintains its small-town hospitality with local entertainment, retailers, breweries, and wineries.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, strengths, and interests:
- Accredited degree in planning or related field
- Membership or candidate membership with the PIBC/CIP
- 2-4 years of community and land development planning experience
- Entrepreneurial drive, with interest in continuing to develop the practice with existing and new clients
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to organize, create, modify and present effective presentations to target audiences
- An outgoing, positive personality with a client-driven perspective
- Attention to quality and detail in your work
- Familiarity with GIS and database systems is considered an asset
- Proficiency with computer data gathering and analysis techniques
- Commitment, energy and a strong work ethic
- Class 5 Drivers License is required
TRUE has provided engineering, land surveying and planning consulting services to our municipal, First Nation and private clients throughout the interior of British Columbia since 1986. We now have offices strategically located in Williams Lake, Kamloops, Penticton and Trail in order to efficiently support our clients. We are committed to the long-term success of our clients and strive to deliver professional service with a focus on creative and practical solutions. At TRUE, our core values are Our People, Client Service, and Integrity.
As a growing and evolving company, we realize that our team is our biggest and most valuable asset. Since 1986, TRUE’s family-feel has highlighted who we are and our core values. We take pride in being a fun and rewarding place to work, even at the busiest times. Our management team is flexible and supportive, recognizing that maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle is critical to the success of each staff member.
Beyond our office culture, we aim to stay competitive and share our successes with our staff through attractive salaries, extended health and dental coverage, vacation time, paid overtime, profit sharing, RRSP matching, maternity leave top-up, annual health & wellness benefit, and flexible work arrangements.