About the Opportunity
TRUE is currently seeking a dynamic and collaborative Planner/Urban Designer to join our Kamloops office. The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of municipal governance structures, community planning, and urban design. Working with the TRUE team and our industry partners, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of public, private and First Nation planning initiatives throughout the BC Interior.
While the specific role will depend on the individual’s experience and interests, some responsibilities may include the following:
- Work closely with local governments, First Nation communities, and the private development sector
- Conduct research to provide a wide range of planning and design solutions as part of a team or independently, with minimal supervision, and clearly communicate the results verbally and in writing to colleagues and clients
- Ability to prepare community and stakeholder engagement plans and participate in public consultation meetings and workshops
- Prepare proposals to outline the scope of services and create work plans, schedules, and budgets to meet the needs of clients and their specific project requirements
- Thrive in a team environment built on collaboration and integration between disciplines
- Travel as required to visit job sites, clients, and events throughout the Interior of British Columbia
Kamloops is a vibrant and growing city in the heart of the BC Southern Interior. Located at the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers, Kamloops is home to acclaimed outdoor activities including skiing, mountain biking, hiking, and golf. While Kamloops continues to see development and growth, it maintains its small-town hospitality with local entertainment, retailers, breweries, and wineries. Our office in Kamloops includes over 35 staff, comprised of Professional Engineers, EITs, Planning team, BC Land Surveyors, technologists and other support/technical staff.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, strengths, and interests:
- Accredited degree in planning, urban design, landscape architecture or related field
- Experience in municipal planning processes and land development approvals
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, capable of preparing reports and developing design narrative
- Experience attending and presenting to councils, committees, and community groups
- Ability to organize, create, modify, and present effective presentations to target audiences
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Attention to detail and quality in your work
- Capable of carrying multiple projects or tasks at one time, with strong organizational and time management skills
- An outgoing, positive personality with a client-driven perspective
- Working aptitude with programs such as Adobe Suite, AutoCAD, InfraWorks, Revit, and SketchUp
- Familiarity with GIS and database systems
- Membership or candidate membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Class 5 Drivers License is required
TRUE has provided engineering, land surveying and planning consulting services to our municipal, First Nation and private clients throughout the interior of British Columbia since 1986. We now have offices strategically located in Kamloops, Williams Lake, Penticton and Trail in order to efficiently support our clients. We are committed to the long-term success of our clients and strive to deliver professional service with a focus on creative and practical solutions. At TRUE, our core values are Our People, Client Service, and Integrity.
As a growing and evolving company, we realize that our team is our biggest and most valuable asset. For over 36 years, TRUE’s family-feel has highlighted who we are and our core values. We take pride in being a fun and rewarding place to work, even at the busiest times. Our management team is flexible and supportive, recognizing that maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle is critical to the success of each staff member.
Beyond our office culture, we aim to stay competitive and share our successes with our staff through attractive salaries, extended health and dental coverage, profit sharing, RRSP matching, maternity leave top-up, annual health & wellness benefit, and flexible work arrangements.
If this opportunity appeals to you, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Intermediate Planner/Urban Designer – Kamloops.” Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Copyright © 2023 TRUE Consulting Ltd. | Site by FRESH